Weekly News Round-Up (July 8, 2022)

It was a dark and stormy night. Well, no, it wasn't. It was an early morning hot on the heels of a late night full of sleepus-interruptus. 

For reasons I don't quite recall, I stayed up until 12:15 am on Thursday evening/Friday morning, and was then wakened by the sound of my wife barfing her guts out at 1:30 am. I was gonna ride it out, but our puppy (who was downstairs in his crate) heard my wife moving around and started barking his head off. Figuring there wouldn't be any peace until the dog quieted down, I went downstairs pillow-in-hand to sleep on the couch near his crate. That stopped his barking ... until around 5 am, when he and the other dogs have breakfast. 

Assuming my wife has an even worse night of sleep than I did, I got up to take care of the dogs and then stayed up -- until about 9 pm Friday when I crashed out. That's why this issue of The Underpublished's Weekly News Round-up is a day late, but since I really have no readers, it probably doesn't matter that much.

So here it is, your weekly news round-up of the latest writing-, publishing-, and book-related news that found its way in front of my eyeballs over the past seven days. I hope you enjoy it and, please, get some sleep.

 

Writing Advice:

Choosing Which Movements To Put in Your Fight Scene


5 Research Tips for Writing Historical Fiction


Writing Advice from Rachel Yoder: Take a Break, Hug a Tree

Shop Talk: James Kestrel on Writing Novels During Lunch in Quiet Honolulu Bars


Sopan Deb on Taking Writing Lessons from Improv



The Biznezz:

How to choose your book-publishing path

How TikTok helped "We were liars" and "The Atlas Six" become bestsellers


Misc:

In One of Her Last Interviews, Joan Didion Talks to Hari Kunzru About Loss, Blue Nights, and Giving Up the Yellow Corvette

How Much Time and Money Does it Take to Maintain a Little Free Library?

Sunday Reading: Writers at Work


The Paris Review - Why Write?

Is it possible to be a mother and pursue a creative life? Yes, but it is never easy

No comments:

Post a Comment