Weekly News Round-Up (July 29, 2022)

I know, I know ... I'm later than ever with this week's installment of The Underpublished's Weekly News Round-Up, but unlike my last episodes of lateness, I actually have a good excuse this time. I was out of town! Really, I was 5 hours from home in Parkersburg, West Virginia, for a little R&R with my partner-in-crime, main squeeze, and wife of 24 years. We had a great time--and one of the reasons I enjoyed myself is that I didn't bring a computer. 

So, without any further adieu, here is this week's round-up of writing-, publishing-, and book-related news and opinion for all you wordnicks out there. Enjoy!

 

WRITING ADVICE:

Verlyn Klinkenborg on Writing More Clearly


I wrote my first book in 30 days. Here are 11 tips and tricks to writing a novel.


Shop Talk: Dwyer Murphy on Writing Routines, Superstitions, and Reading Elmore Leonard Like a Bible


6 Things My Career as a Travel Writer Taught Me About Writing a Memoir


How To Write a Friends-to-Lovers Romance (When You’re Addicted to the Enemies-to-Lovers Trope)


THE BUSINESS:


Your chance to be a top author: Today the Mail gives you the chance to have your novel published


[Note: The deadline for this has passed, but I’m including it here because I find the whole thing interesting….]


Authors Are Starting to Use AI to Quickly Churn Out Novels


A major publishing lawsuit would cement surveillance into the future of libraries


Stephen King goes to bat for U.S. gov't in case against book publishing mega-merger



MISC:


How a Mormon Housewife Turned a Fake Diary Into an Enormous Best-Seller


On Matsuo Bashō, Haiku's Greatest Master ‹ Literary Hub


David Foster Wallace’s Final Attempt to Make Art Moral


Inspiration vs. Perspiration: Where Do Middle-Grade Fiction Ideas Come From?



No comments:

Post a Comment